Tammy's Knitting Space

Friday, June 23, 2006

My adventures in kool-aid dyeing



















My terrific KH Yarn Swap Pal sent me as my first package this kit for kool-aid dyeing. I was a little intimidated at first, because I wasn't sure how complicated the process would be, but boy, it turned out to be super simple, and I loved the results. Most of all, it didn't make the mess I thought it would! And the microwave is a big timesaver!! I think I used a total of five 2-minute intervals. Halfway through the process, I realized that I should have dissolved the kool-aid a bit more, because most of it was sitting on the bottom and only being absorbed by the bottom yarn. Well at that point, I stirred it up, and let it continue, thinking I had probably messed up this batch. (I only started with two small bowls of yarn because I wanted to experiment first before doing it all). Anyway, at the end, I think it turned out great!! It looks like it was handpainted and has that tie-dye effect. Now I cant wait to get the rest dyed! I'm thinking about just dyeing the yarn in small sections will all kinds of different colors, and then maybe making a scarf out of it in the end for my daughters, since they already said how much they loved the colors. I will definitely do this again. Thanks again to my KH yarn swap pal who introduced me to it all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home